Pulse Music: Weekly Discovery: Keshington

Keshington

The artist's style of music includes a blend of Afro Pop, Rap,R & B and dancehall vibes to give meaningful music.

As we like to do every other week at Pulse, we throw the spotlight on talented emerging acts who need platforms like this. We catch up with the artiste who goes by the name Keshington and recently dropped a single titled 'My life' to find out what makes him tick and what he has to offer the buzzing Nigerian music scene and beyond.

Tell us briefly about yourself and how you picked up music as a career path?

My name is Moyo Keshinro a.k.a Keshington, Lagos is my home state, I'm the last child with 10 siblings. I attended King's College Lagos, and furthered on to Redeemer's University, where I got a degree in Mass Communication.

My siblings influenced my love for music from when I was a little boy, particularly one of my senior brothers (Dare Jones). 
I started writing my little rhymes in secondary school, but in University, I became more passionate about it, going out of school to record songs and performing them at school functions, which gave me a level of attention, direction and encouragement. Since then, I knew music is certainly what I love and want to do.

 

How do you class your sound and what do you think people can take away from listening to your music?

My sound is a blend of Afro Pop and Rap, sometimes R & B and dancehall vibes comes into play. 
I love to make music that is really meaningful, that feels good which people can relate to or be inspired by.

Do you take singing or voice lessons?
No, I have not had any formal voice training yet, I plant to. But personally I guess I exercise my vocals at rehearsals.
 

Can you tell us how a recording session day typically is like for you?

A typical recording session is getting to the studio with no pressure, first I like to listen to my best songs or artistes, to sink into the mood, then my producer and I share ideas, listen to different sounds and then create some good music.

What inspires you to sing, how do you come up with your songs?

I'm passionate about music, so there's a mindset that's ready to create songs. I'm inspired from daily activities, personal feelings and experiences and also by listening other great artistes.


I come up with songs from random stuff, to good vibes in the air, to provoking melodies and rhymes. Sometimes it’s the feel of a good beat, or something on my mind.

What's your take on the scene in Nigeria?
The Nigerian music scene is getting bigger, and it needs a better structure fast.

Nigerian artistes you’d like to collaborate with?
I will ultimately love to work with mentors like 2 Baba and D' banj and definitely will appreciate working with Wizkid, Davido, Patoranking and other talented Nigerian artistes. 

What projects are you working on?

I'm already working on my album, I'm constantly in the studio so there are songs ready for the project when the demand comes. Then I'm also working on my second E.P, more singles and videos.

What’s your vision as an artiste?
I plan to do music for a long time like King Sunny Ade, Lagbaja and the Kutis etc. I want to evolve my sound through my career and get on tours across the big cities of the world.  I plan to also invest in other talents in the near future.
My vision as an artiste is to put smiles on people's faces with my music, to entertain and be able to inspire my generation.

Comments